Can't find the post you're looking for?
Please scroll to the bottom of the page, where you'll find the blog archive, containing all of the posts ever published on this blog.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Attraction Review- Journey Into Imagination With Figment

Before I begin, I would like to apologise for what is another delayed post. To cut a long story short, I have had a lot of school work in recent days, and have wanted to concentrate on that, as I'm determined to get a good grade. What with also visiting family over the weekend, I have only had sufficient time to draft this post, with today being my first opportunity to actually write it. I haven't forgotten about the Pin of the Fortnight either, and that will be published next week after being likewise delayed by my hectic schedule. This allows the Photo of the Week to be published tomorrow!
Anyway, back to Disney! Writing this, and escaping to my favourite place will be a great way to relax!
This week, I am focusing on an Epcot attraction which celebrated its 30th Birthday last week, having itself opened a few months after the entire park. As with the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover, which I reviewed last week, Journey Into Imagination With Figment, this week's attraction, became an instant favourite with guests, in this case due to its loveable characters, fun theme and catchy theme tune, named 'One Little Spark'. Currently on its third incarnation, this entertaining ride gives you a guided tour of the 'Imagination Institute', courtesy of Dr Nigel Channing (Eric Idle), as well as Figment, the adorable purple Dragon who loves imagination.
After being introduced to their enthusiastic hosts, guests are taken in spacious ride vehicles to various labs around the 'Institute', each relating to a different one of the human senses. However Figment, who thinks the tour to be too structured, starts to cause mischief and mayhem, much to the dismay of Dr Channing. Insistent that imagination should be set free, Figment continues to disrupt the tour, eventually forcing Channing to postpone it. Thrilled, Figment then takes everyone to his own house, where he showcases his own unique and wonderful imagination for all to see. The attraction ends with a magical tribute to imagination, with both Figment and Dr Channing working together to ensure that the ride quite literally ends on a high note!
I would like to stress at this point of the article that I have only actually ridden the attraction's current incarnation. This is partly down to me being a relatively new WDW visitor (even though I've always loved Disney), and partly down to the fact that I'm only 15, and so wouldn't be above to remember any of the previous two versions of the attraction, even if I had ridden them. Therefore, I can't provide as good a perspective as some of the incredibly talented Disney Bloggers out there, but I'll certainly try my best!
Every article which I read about Journey Into Imagination criticises Disney for tampering with what was a pretty good attraction in the first place, as well as some of the changes they've made to the pavilion in general. Having obviously no experience of this attraction in historic terms, I can make no comment on this, especially since I love this attraction as it is, which is how I've always known it. It's by far one of my all time favourites, currently sitting third in the dynamic list of my the attractions I love the most, just behind the Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain. Considering how marvellous the attraction is in its current form, I can barely begin to imagine (pun not intended) what it was like in the good old days!
Another trait which Journey Into Imagination shares with the TTA is its huge popularity amongst Disney fans, yet its 'habit' of still always having short to moderate waits. It's pretty much the norm to see waits of about 10-25 minutes, with it also not bing unusual to see waits of less than ten minutes as well. The line for this attraction moves surprisingly fast, and has plenty to keep you entertained, provided you are familiar with the attraction, the pavilion and parts of the backstory. Even if you aren't there's an abundance of cool things to look at as you await your 'tour' of the Imagination Institute. Due to the quintessentially reasonable lines here, you can pretty much visit when you like, but I would recommend doing so before midday and after 4pm.
Here's how I rate Journey Into Imagination With Figment in the following areas and why:
Thrill~ 10/10
As with many great Disney attractions, Journey Into Imagination is more sensually thrilling than thrilling in the sense of motion. With different segments of the experience celebrating imagination's connection with three of the five senses (two of them are avoided as the tour diverts to Figment's house), it really isn't difficult to see why that is. Each scene has clearly been thought through a lot to best represent the use and significance of each of the respective senses, and does so perfectly, with a little help from Figment, of course!
Scariness~ 9/10
Whilst this attraction features no drops or anything like that, it is extremely unpredictable as to what Figment will do next, and I promise that he will really make you jump and take you by surprise. Near the end of the ride, as he is speaking, a massive flash and loud noises occur suddenly without warning, plunging you into total but momentary darkness, before revealing the aforementioned magical tribute to imagination, which I won't spoil by describing. This moment is as intense as it sounds, and will make you jump even when riding the attraction a second time! There are also a couple of other, less intense surprises earlier in the attraction.
Theming~ 9/10
This is a tough one to talk about. Whilst the attraction itself has been designed and built extremely well to create an immersive themed environment, I don't think that it's even close to exploring its own central theme of imagination enough. It definitely takes steps in the right direction to epitomising imagination as a concept, but has barely scratched the surface in reality. It's not just the ride either, I think that this is true for the entire pavilion. I know that I echo the sentiments of many others when I say that there is so much more that Disney can do with the theme of imagination, hey, they could easily build a whole park based around it. Imagination is one of the vital elements of everything Disney is all about, and you'd think they'd want to pay tribute to that. This point aside however, the theming on Journey Into Imagination is truly superb.
Educational~ 7/10
There aren't too many scientific facts in this one, but you still learn a great deal about your imagination and its breathtaking potential to create and innovate. The real opportunity for intellectual stimulation comes after the ride, in the ImageWorks exhibits, which is technically a diversion.
Fun~ 10/10
Put quite simply, Journey Into Imagination With Figment is Walt Disney World's most fun attraction! What with its upbeat soundtrack, cheerful characters and interesting theme, it is truly impossible to find fault in Journey Into Imagination's enjoyment factor. It's nigh on impossible to exit the ride vehicle without being at least twice as happy as you were when you started, and being won over by the adorable Figment! Every single element joins together perfectly to create this, creating levels of fun which simply cannot be found anywhere else!
Repeatability~ 8/10
Although it's the exact same experience each time, Journey Into Imagination is a sensational attraction, one of those rare rides which never get boring. As I mentioned, this is due to it's winning formula, all the elements binding together to create an attraction which is hard to beat by anything.
And finally, my overall rating~ 10/10
Like I said, I'm probably not the best person to review this attraction having only experienced the one version, so being unable to make any kind of comparisons whatsoever. The simple fact is that I love this attraction, better older versions or not, because it's just awesome. A very plain observation, I know, but true nonetheless! I think it's wonderful for all of the reasons listed above, and that the future is a bright spark for this great attraction (pun intended)! My only bugbear is the animatronic Figments which can be found in various scenes of the attraction, and desperately need replacing. In fact, I would love to see the Imagination Pavilion as a whole get an update, and it's beginning to look likely that this will happen. However, that's a completely different topic, one which I hope to discuss in the near future.
So, what's your view? Do you also enjoy Journey Into Imagination, or do you think of it as grossly overrated? And do you love Figment as much as I do?! Please use your imagination accordingly, and share your opinions in the comments below or on Facebook, it's always a treat to hear what you think!
Thanks for reading, I hope you're having a magical week!

No comments: