Can't find the post you're looking for?
Please scroll to the bottom of the page, where you'll find the blog archive, containing all of the posts ever published on this blog.

Monday, June 3, 2013

THE FIRST EVER My Top Seven~ Views At The Walt Disney World Parks

Hi everybody! I'm incredibly excited to finally be sharing my first ever Top Seven post with you! Again, apologies about delays on the blog, when trying to post Photo of the Week and the Attraction Review earlier last week I was unable to login to Blogger yet again, but I've just changed my Internet browser, and now it all works fine, which I'm thrilled about!

The topic which I have selected as the first for what I hope will be an interesting series of posts is views within the Walt Disney World parks. With the parks being the spellbindingly beautiful places they are, it should come as no surprise that awe-inspiring views are ubiquitous throughout them, making this a perfect topic to kick of the 'My Top Seven' articles on the World of Dreams Blog. As you may know, I had this article written and ready to go, but, much to my dismay, it disappeared. Fortunately, I have a feeling already that this second version of the post is even better than the first- I've had so many new ideas for what to say between then and now! I'm really enjoying the whole process of writing this as well; indeed, the long time which I spent picking and ranking the seven wonderful views I will soon describe to you alone was one of the most fun things I've ever done when writing this blog. I can tell these posts are going to be awesome fun for me to write- I certainly hope they are as fun to read!

For me, views are a massive and crucial part of the Disney experience. It's no secret that the Disney Imagineers share this opinion, with the guest's perspective at any time of their experience being perhaps the most fundamental consideration they take when designing the parks. These hugely talented people consider the guest's viewpoint at every stage of their time in the park, using techniques such as sight gags and 'weenies' (a concept invented by Walt of a visual icon to draw guests into a space) to ensure they're fully immersed in the magic of the park, be they entering the park, eating a meal or experiencing an attraction.

I just love the views at Walt Disney World. I make no secret of the fact that I consider WDW to be one of, if not the, most beautiful places on our planet. I love how upon setting foot in any Disney Park I am instantly transported into a wondrous environment of whimsical fantasy. Thus, this topic was the perfect choice for my first Top Seven article. So, without further ado, here's the list:

#7~ The top of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror has always been one of my favourite attractions ever. Such is the quality and pure Imagineering genius of this Hollywood Studios attraction, there are many factors which contribute to this. One of them is without a doubt the awesome view you get a glimpse of when your elevator reaches the top of the 'Hollywood Tower Hotel'. I can picture it now; you reach the top and the doors on the building open, affording you a momentary glance over a sizeable chunk of Walt Disney World. And then, of course, your elevator plummets thirteen thrilling stories!
The view in question is a lovely one. Not only can you clearly see most of the Studios, but you can also see Blizzard Beach, and in some cases (depending on which shaft your elevator is in and the seat you have) parts of the Animal Kingdom. Generally, if in both of those things you're on the left, you'll see the Animal Kingdom, if right, the Studios. If my memory serves me well you can also see a couple of resorts too.
A neat memory I have in relation to this view is of the first time I rode the Tower of Terror. It was on our first trip, and I remember being on the ride and seeing Blizzard Beach, which we had visited a few days previously. Eager to share, I cried 'Look, there's Blizzard Beach!' However, due to the Twilight Zone's notorious unpredictability, the elevator dropped like a stone, and it ended up sounding like 'Look, there's Blizzard Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....', a bit like how cartoon characters sound when they shout and fall at the same time! This was much to the amusement of everyone else in the elevator (at least, once the ride was over!), and is a memory I will always have.

#6~ Expedition Everest's Lift Hill
From one of Walt Disney World's two tallest attractions to the other, the list now takes us to the amazing Animal Kingdom. This next view is from part of the Expedition Everest attraction, which is half a foot senior of Tower of Terror. Florida's largest (also artificial) mountain without a doubt has views to match it's status as WDW's tallest attraction. When ascending the main lift hill, there is so much more to take in than just the attraction's exquisite theming. Whilst you should concentrate on this when riding Everest for the first time should you wish to get the full experience, once you have, I would strongly encourage you to look out for the spellbinding views available across Walt Disney World from the ride.
Look to your right, and you will see the picturesque Animal Kingdom laid out before you like something from a picture book, whilst a glance to your left will reward you with views across the entire property. Here you have a great view of both Epcot and the Studios, a handful of resorts, and, on a clear day, Cinderella Castle and Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom. Maybe the ride breaking down on this lift hill wouldn't be so bad after all!

#5~ The top of the Swiss Family Treehouse at Magic Kingdom
You only have to look at the logo for the World Of Dreams Blog to know that I love this view! After completing the climb to the top of the stunningly themed Swiss Family Treehouse in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland, and you will find an unrivalled view across the park, with Cinderella Castle and Space Mountain both prominent landmarks on the park's skyline. Like I said in my review of this walk through attraction back in January, the view is one of the Treehouse's most impressive features, especially when you take into account the views of Frontierland, Adventureland and to a lesser extent Liberty Square from the other side of the tree.
Here's the view I mentioned in all its glory...





#4~ The Express Monorail to the Magic Kingdom
Okay, okay, maybe this one isn't technically inside a park, but it's the primary means of transportation between the Magic Kingdom's parking and the entrance itself, so therefore it counts as part of the park to me at least. When the park was being designed, the monorail was treated as an important experience for building anticipation of the park, leading to the creation of the incredible monorail ride we all know and love today. The timing is perfect, with guests being given glimpses of the park before it comes into full view, with the monorail even passing relatively near to some of it's most iconic landmarks. You get to see this gorgeous park in so many different ways, adding another dimension to your overall experience and building the excitement to great extents.
Here's the view of Space Mountain from the monorail...





And the park's entrance...





#3~ Epcot's Entrance
Next up is the entrance to Epcot. Dominated by the spellbinding Spaceship Earth, this area of the park is a contender for its most beautiful, and a no-brainer for its most awe-inspiring. The view is just a part of the experience of going through this amazing area, such is the effect of the beautiful music playing in the background.
The enormous Spaceship Earth can be seen all over Walt Disney World, indeed, seeing it from afar is an experience in itself. Every time I see it up close I get shivers down my spine, showing the extent of my awe and excitement. The Leave a Legacy Monoliths which are designed to appear to cradle Spaceship Earth, alongside the tranquil fountain in this area add even more to this experience, thus creating an abundantly memorable view for everyone who sees it.
Here's some pictures of that area. Firstly, Spaceship Earth...





The Leave a Legacy Monoliths...



And another one of Spaceship Earth...




#2~ Main Street USA and Cinderella Castle
Every time I'm fortunate enough to be able to cast my eyes down the marvellous Main Street USA, it's just as spellbindingly spectacular as the first time I set my eyes upon it, over two years ago now. To be honest, I would pay the price of admission just to be able to stand there looking down Main Street to Cinderella Castle and beyond. It truly is a magical sight to behold. What more can I say?









#1~ Mount Gushmore's Peak, Blizzard Beach
If there's any view that truly defines Walt Disney World for me, this is definitely it. I guess that's because this view IS Walt Disney World, in that you can pretty much see the whole property. I am, of course talking about the top of Mount Gushmore at Blizzard Beach Waterpark. The Mountain's peak, and to a greater extent the stairs up to Summit Plummet, the park's signature attraction, provide the best views in my opinion of any Walt Disney World park. This is mostly down to the fact that from here you can actually see pretty much every Walt Disney World park!
This part of Walt Disney World offers strikingly brilliant panoramic views of nigh on everything, and makes long queues for Summit Plummet, Slush Gusher and Teamboat Springs remarkably more bearable! The Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are all there to see clear as day, and are joined by pretty much every resort hotel on property scattered across the Central Florida landscape like beautiful flowers in a meadow, as well as Downtown Disney too. I think I even caught a glimpse of Typhoon Lagoon at one point during a visit too!
It's natural that with a view like this one, there's never a dull moment. Not only can you revel in the magic and whimsy of having the entire Walt Disney World Resort laid out before you like a splendid painting, but there's also plenty of kinetics to keep you entertained as well. From the doors opening on the Tower of Terror to the Characters in Flight Balloon ascending and descending at Downtown Disney and people enjoying the very park you're in, this special part of Blizzard Beach is one of my favourite spots in Walt Disney World. It's just a shame that there's no designated area from which all this could be viewed...
The best place to experience this view for yourself is in line for one of the three aforementioned Blizzard Beach attractions, especially Summit Plummet and Teamboat Springs. If you're allowed, you could always move aside in line to admire the views, to take it all in, whilst letting others pass you. There's always the observation deck as well, round the front of the mountain, but views from there are limited.

Regardless, there's no question about it- Mount Gushmore's Peak is my top in park view at Walt Disney World!!!

So, that's my list! It was so difficult to compile- there were literally dozens of great options, so many awesome ones had to be left out...

I really hope you've enjoyed my first Top Seven post every bit as much as I've enjoyed writing it. I would LOVE to get some feedback about it! Did you find it too long or too short? Is there any way it could be improved? What (if anything!) did you enjoy about it? If you would like to share your opinions on any of the above, as well as my choices of course, please either leave a comment or email me at worldofdreamsblog@gmail.com
I can't wait to hear from you!

Please also check out the awesome We're Going To Walt Disney World Podcast!

Thank you so much for reading, it means an awful lot. I hope you have a magical day!


No comments: