Can't find the post you're looking for?
Please scroll to the bottom of the page, where you'll find the blog archive, containing all of the posts ever published on this blog.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

World of Dreams Photo of the Week- Celebrating Mission Space's 10th Birthday!

Today, Mission Space, which is arguably one of Walt Disney World's most intense thrill attractions, celebrates its tenth birthday. Located in Future World East at Epcot, this very unique simulator attraction allows guests to embark on the first ever manned mission to Mars, which naturally doesn't go as smoothly as planned, such is the attraction's storyline.

Despite being one of the most technologically advanced attractions on property, Mission Space isn't as popular amongst Disney Fans as one might think. The reason for this is that it replaced Horizons, an Epcot attraction which was a very firm favourite amongst guests. As obviously a Disney Fan myself, I do resent the removal of Horizons from the park, as I was never able to experience it and have gained an appreciation through reading articles and watching videos of how magical this attraction was. However, I think it's unfair to judge Mission Space on this principal. It's an incredible attraction in its own right, and whilst it may or may not be as good as Horizons was, the fact remains that it's a cutting edge attraction that is not only very creative and well Imagineered, but has also remained at the forefront of technology, even after a decade of operation. It's one of my favourite attractions.

My photo this week shows the incredible entrance area for Mission Space. Called Planetary Plaza, this area has so much to see, from awe-inspiring models of planets and moons to inspirational quotes from people such as astronauts, you'll want to spend some time fully exploring it. I remember Planetary Plaza taking my breath away the first time I saw it, and it's never failed to do the same each time I've returned to the attraction!

Whilst the stunning architecture here is such that one could spend hours photographing it from a multitude of different angles, my photo is a pretty basic shot of the whole area. I'm planning to take a proper camera on my next trip, so hopefully I can get a variety of great quality photos of Planetary Plaza to share on the blog.

Anyway, here's the photo!





I'm actually quite pleased with how it's turned out, considering I captured this image on my iPod! I've added a filter and a tilt shift effect, and I think it's turned out really well!!!

Happy Birthday Mission Space!

Thanks for reading! Please also check out the awesome We're Going To Walt Disney World Podcast, as well as my Instagram account, where this photo will also be posted! My username's BloggerDisney

Have a magical day!

No comments: