Can't find the post you're looking for?
Please scroll to the bottom of the page, where you'll find the blog archive, containing all of the posts ever published on this blog.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

World of Dreams Photo of the Week- Special Edition!

Happy Thursday everyone! I hope you enjoyed my review of It's a Small World, which was posted yesterday!

This week's edition of Photo of the Week is a very exciting and special one, celebrating the arrival of Mosi the Giraffe, who was born recently at Disney's Animal Kingdom. He's the first Masai Giraffe to be born at the Animal Kingdom, and has fittingly been named 'Mosi', which means 'first'. The name was chosen by readers of the Disney Parks Blog in an online poll, with Mosi being one of several options presented by Disney for the name of this adorable baby Giraffe. Having personally voted for the name Mosi myself, I'm thrilled that I wasn't alone in loving this beautiful name, and I really do think it's the perfect name for the first Masai Giraffe born at Disney!

The poll is now closed, but I would still thoroughly recommend reading the wonderful article which accompanied it. Not only does it feature loads of incredibly interesting facts about Mosi, the Disney Giraffes and Giraffes in general, it also has a remarkably cute picture of Mosi. He is a simply gorgeous baby giraffe, and I hope to see him next time I ride Kilimanjaro Safaris, the attraction at Animal Kingdom which he now calls home! He's certainly one lucky giraffe!

Speaking of Kilimanjaro Safaris, another amazing article was published yesterday on the Disney Parks Blog, which revealed that Mosi had made an appearance at the Kilimanjaro Safaris Savanna for the very first time! This awesome article was also the official announcement that the name Mosi had won the poll, and would therefore be the baby giraffe's name. My favourite thing about this article is by far the two beautiful pictures which were shared of Mosi's very special first day out on the savanna, as well as an exquisite video, which shows him exploring his new home with his mother, and also features an interview with Steve Castillo, the Zoological Manager at Animal Kingdom.

And that brings me to my Photo of the Week, or should I say PHOTOS of the Week!!! To celebrate the newest edition to Kilimanjaro Safaris, I have two pictures to share- a firdt for Photo of the Week- each showing two of his fellow giraffes who live at the attraction too. Unfortunately I don't know if these giraffes are related to Mosi at all, but they're definitely his 'neighbours'! These photos were taken last October, long before Mosi was born, so I'm afraid I have no way if knowing if they're part of his family. Nevertheless, I'm sure all the giraffes are great friends now, as all the magnificent animals at Kilimanjaro Safaris always seem to be!

I must apologise for the bad quality of these photos; they were shot on my iPod, which doesn't stabilise images very well. Considering I was in one of the Safari trucks, and we only spotted the two giraffes at the last minute, it was difficult to get a good photo!

I have edited both images, and despite the poor quality of the originals, I'm actually really proud of how the edits turned out. In fairness, when I originally took these photos I was on a moving vehicle! Anyway, I'm really happy with my edits!

So, without further ado, here they are!

For the first one, I applied a filter, which I really think adds an element of authenticity to the image. I don't know why, but it really does add to the photo, and I think makes it more vivid and visually interesting:




For the second, I changed the brightness, saturation and contrast, and applied a tilt shift effect to the photograph, focusing on the giraffes themselves:




As I said, I really do like how these edits have turned out, especially seeing as they both have the track the giraffes are walking along as a very clear leading line, one of my very favourite photographic elements! I tried to make both pictures sum up the excitement and awe of seeing the majestically beautiful animals on Kilimanjaro Safaris, and I really hope the photographs have achieved this!


Before I go, I just wanted to remark upon how excited I'm getting about MyMagic+. I'm especially enjoying the My Disney Experience app, for which a new update was recently released, which most notably no longer requires you to be logged in to view current wait times at Walt Disney World. I really can't wait to try the app and all the other terrific features of MyMagic+ next time I visit WDW!

Thanks for reading! If you get a moment, please follow me on Instagram, where I will from now on post the pictures from Photo of the Week, (as well as them being posted normally on the blog of course), as well as the pictures I already post of everything Disney I encounter in my day to day life! You can follow me here, and my username is BloggerDisney! Thanks! Please also check out the amazing We're Going To Walt Disney World Podcast! I'll be back tomorrow with a review of a popular Epcot attraction.

Have a magical day!

No comments: